Get Adobe Flash player



The Board’s jurisdiction is limited to the conduct of review and appeal hearings that concern persons with a mental illness being treated involuntarily either as inpatients or on community treatment orders (CTO's). The Board has no jurisdiction to investigate complaints concerning treatment by mental health services.

If you have a complaint concerning your experience with the Board, please visit the contact page and either telephone, write or email the Board your complaint.  We will endeavour to deal with your complaint in a timely manner.

If your complaint concerns your experience at a mental health service, you should, in the first instance, direct your concerns to the mental health service as they should be made aware of any issues you may have as to the level of treatment and service they provide.

Should you not be satisfied with the response, you may wish to direct your concerns to either or all of the following:

The Chief Psychiatrist who has responsibility under the Mental Health Act 1986 for the medical care and welfare of persons receiving treatment or care for a mental illness in public mental health services and responding to complaints from consumers, carers and others.  You can contact the Chief Psychiatrist at 50 Lonsdale Street Melbourne, telephone 9096 7571.

The Health Services Commissioner, an independent commissioner who investigates and helps to resolve complaints by health care consumers about health services, including mental health services.  You can contact the Commissioner at Level 30, Marland House 570 Bourke Street Melbourne, telephone 9032 3100.

The Ombudsman who investigates complaints about government departments.  You can contact the Ombudsman at 9th floor, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000, telephone 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314.